Chat Chains is a social-emotional game for ages 8 and up. It was developed by clinical psychologists to help players develop their conversation skills. Chat Chains can help players:
- Improve waiting and listening skills
- Learn new questions and answers to use in conversations
- Build confidence in social situations
- Make new friends and deepen existing relationships
- Enhance social awareness
- Improve nonverbal behaviors in social situations
To start, players select conversation topics that vary in difficulty. The difficulty of the topic and subsequent point value is determined by how emotionally vulnerable the topic requires players to be.
The game has cooperative and competitive elements. Players work together to maintain a conversation and rack up points by building Chat Chains with response cards. Players compete for the highest score each round by participating actively in the conversation. Multiple play styles and difficulty levels help to keep things interesting!
Chat Chains is fun for all players, but will be especially helpful for those who have:
- Difficulty talking about their thoughts or feelings
- ADHD and struggle to make or keep friends
- Significant anxiety in social interactions
- Developmental disabilities such as autism
- Families who struggle to get past “how was your day?” – “fine” interactions.